Why Is It So Difficult to Say “No?”    [18-05-2012]
It is important to get along with others. We cannot live alone, and we need each other’s help to live a happy life. Some people always try to be nice to others and they can’t really say “no” even if they are not available to help others. However, it is important to learn how to say “no” to keep healthy relationships with others. Here, Cindy and Matt are talking about the importance of saying “no.”

Matt: Hey Cindy, if you are not busy, can you help me with my science homework?

Cindy: Ah…OK, I was doing my homework, but I will help you.

Matt: You are so nice! This is why everyone likes you and always asks you for help. But are you really OK? Since you were in the middle of doing your own homework, I can wait.

Cindy: Ah…then, is it OK if I finish my homework first?

Matt: Of course, Cindy! You can say “no” if you don’t have time to help others. You don’t have to say “yes” all the time to be nice to others. This can give you a lot of stress.

Cindy: But I can’t say “no” because I don’t want to hurt other people’s feelings. And I don’t want to be rude.

Matt: Saying “no” doesn’t mean you are being rude. I guess you should learn how to say “no.” Spending a lot of time and energy on other people and not spending much time for yourself is not good for you.

Cindy: “No” is such a simple word, but sometimes it is not easy to say. But from now on, I won’t say yes all the time to make others happy. My happiness is important, too. I will learn how to say “no” effectively without hurting other people’s feelings.