Top Slugger Returns Home [16-12-2011]
The nation’s most renowned slugger has finally put an end to his eight-year stint in Japan. Reuniting with his former home team, Lee Seung-yeop signed with the Samsung Lions for 1.1 billion won. Last week in Daegu, the Samsung Lions staff released an official statement that said Lee will be staying with the team for one year.

“I never knew that I could come back. I just can’t describe how happy I am,” Lee said in the team’s press release. Lee is recognized as the franchise star for the Samsung Lions.
Considered one of the best sluggers in the history of the Korea Baseball Organization (KBO), the 35-year-old made his professional debut with the Lions in 1995. He stayed with the team until 2003 before heading off to Japan’s Nippon Professional Baseball League.

Born in Daegu, Lee earned five MVP trophies during his nine KBO seasons. Furthermore, he led the league in home runs five times and in RBIs four times. In addition, Lee had a career batting average of .305, 324 home runs, and 948 RBI.
On the contrary, Lee’s time in Japan wasn’t all that successful. Playing for the Chiba Lotte Marines, the Yomiuri Giants and the Orix Buffaloes, he enjoyed some success early on,
winning the Japan Series with the Marines and the Giants. Sadly, minor injuries derailed his career over the past four seasons.

Lee’s return to the KBO is causing much excitement. The slugger may break the all-time career KBO home run record that is held by now-retired slugger Yang Joon-hyuk, who amassed 324 career home runs.
Trailing Yang by only 27 homers, many believe Lee will set a new record in the upcoming season.